A True Ayurvedic Healing Village in India
Dr. Leena Athparia, NDThere's so much talk about 'Detox' these days, it's hard to know how & when to start detoxing or if it's really needed.
With spring slowly peeking around the corner, people want to burn off the winter fat & sluggishness, and regain their energy. I've recommended and customized many detox programs for patients and have tried a few myself - all with different degrees of benefits. Some range from changing or removing certain foods in the diet for a period of time, and other involve herbal teas or capsules.
However, after visiting a beautiful Ayurvedic Center in South India, I realize there is nothing quite like the Ayurvedic approach to detoxification !
|Abhyanga massage & treatments done - time for lunch|
During my visit at Vaidyagrama between Coimbatore & Palakkad, India, I had the opportunity to experience Ayurveda first-hand under the care of excellent Ayurvedic Doctors. Though I did not specifically intend to do a detox, four days of simple diet & treatments at the center did wonders & left me wanting to come back for more !
Balcony - overlooking garden
|Vasta shastra & environmentally friendly techniques used|
My treatments consisted of:
- Initial consultation by 1-2 Ayurvedic Doctors
- 2-3 follow ups daily in my room
- 3 wholesome Ayurvedic meals (vegetarian, mostly cooked with mild spice & salt)
- Herbal teas & fruits for snacks
- Herbal medicine: kashayams (herbal decoctions), fermented herbal drinks & porridges
- Abhyangas: daily full-body oil massages with warm, constitution specific oils
- Time with nature and following the natural rhythms of the day and seasons
- Meditation & yoga at certain times of the day as well as self-reflection.
|Treatment room (photo courtesy of Vaidyagrama)|
I began to notice significant improvement in my digestion and energy, in addition to increase joint mobility and general flexibility. Speaking to the other patients that had come for treatment, I realized many of them were there for more serious concerns - neurological, auto-immune or for panchakarma which is an intense 21-day cleansing program.
|Ayurvedic meal served at lunch (rice, roti, carrot curry, lentil, squash & buttermilk)|
|Checking out the Ayurvedic pharmacy with one of my colleagues|
For more information on Vaidyagrama - A True Healing Village, visit: www.vaidyagrama.com